Sunday, October 18, 2015

Family Theories

Family traditions and theories have been embedded from generation to generation. I know many times growing up we say the infamous words, "I'm never going to do that to my kids." or "I'm never going to be like my mom." The thing is in reality we most likely are going to pull from those situations and say the same exact things our parents said or did. There is nothing wrong with that. But! We should be aware of the family traditions, rules or theories that we implement into our lives for time and all eternity.

Honestly I am grateful that my parents decided to break "tradition". If they would not have done so I would not have had the opportunity to be raised in the church. Both of my parents are converts, they come from wonderful families. I am thankful for the traditions my parents have kept going from their parents. I am thankful for the way my parents were raised and the standards instilled in them. However I am also grateful for the opportunity that I had to attend girls camp every year with my father. I am thankful for the opportunity I had to see my mother serve in leadership positions through out my youth.

Too much we think that things either have to stay the same or completely change. How beautiful it is when we realize that we can pull upon things from our past as well as things that can build a brighter future. Family is forever so I do believe that some traditions should last forever as well. However I also believe the Lord blesses us with opportunities to grow as a family and find new ways to do things. This could be through conversion, through the birth of a new child, or marriage in the family, or even something as simple as a Pinterest board that brings new ideas into the home. We are given this life to not just endure but to build families.

No comments:

Post a Comment